Saturday, May 30, 2009

Is it hot enough for you?

We have been having nice weather recently. Oh, it rains every 2 or 3 days, but in between it's been 70 - 85 degrees with a nice cool breeze. Yes, sometimes, just before it rains, it's more like a gale than a breeze and then we have some thunderstorms that will rattle your teeth and take out the TV. But in between the weather is nice.

Except in the office where I work. The office was hot like hell warmed over and hottest in the cubes where me and the cranky pregnant lady work. And nobody cares but me and the cranky pregnant lady.

The first day after it reached 84 degrees in my cube, I bought in a new fan because the small office-size fan that habitually sits outside my cube just can't cut through that kind of heat.

Now I have a big ol' 18 inch blade whirling the hot air around, stirring up the papers on my desk and cube wall, tossing my hair into a mess, but at least making afternooon work life almost bearable for me and the cranky pregnant lady.

The day I bought in the fan it only got up to 82 degrees in the cube. Uncomfortable, but tolerable and if I needed to cool down, I could always step outside where the temperature was only 70 degrees.

Friday afternoon the temperature went up to 88 degrees in the office. When the heat gets up to 86, 88 degrees, it's too hot to think straight.

Don't give me that crap about the poor people working in the fields in 100 degree weather. I don't work in a field, I work in an office in the 21st century, where the windows don't open, where the computers, and printers, and fax machines, and overhead lights are producing enough heat to melt the polar ice cap.

Heat can make you cranky. Heat can make you do crazy things. When me and the cranky pregnant lady turn the place into a naturist camp, maybe the Dumass management will care that it's too freakin' hot to work.

I'll let you know next week.

No comments: