Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Spring time in Indiana

It rained today. And it's going to rain tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that, and then the day after that. I don't know if it's going to rain the day after that because the weather forecast only went to the 4th day after today.

Being a country girl at heart, I was wondering this past weekend if the farmers were going to be able to get their crops planted with all the rain we've had this month. In case you were wondering too, the answer is no. Some farmer told a guy on the news that if you didn't get the crops in by May 10th you lost a bushel an acre a month. That was May 10th when he said that and he hadn't been able to get the tractor out in the fields yet.

All this spring weather has brought forth the morel mushrooms. I haven't had any for a long time. They were $39 a pound at the grocery store this afternoon so it will be a long time before I have them again. I suppose I could go hunt some in the woods, but I think not.

Saturday I watched a father teaching his son to ride a bike without the training wheels. At first they went very slowly, the father more walking than running as he held the back of the seat and the handlebars. Back and forth, back and forth in front of my living room window. Finally Dad started to walk a little faster, almost a trot but still I wanted to yell, "Faster! Pedal faster!" Then they came back down the street again. Dad was running along behind, huffing and puffing but with no hands on the bike at all. Yeah! We did it!

And that's spring time in Indiana on my street today.

No comments: