Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Persimmon Pudding

I'm making persimmon pudding for Thanksgiving dinner.   I haven't had any for years and the anticipation is almost more than I can bear.

The local grocery store where I used to buy persimmon pulp went out of business years ago.  The chain store that bought them out carried it for a few years afterwards, but I haven't seen persimmon pulp there for ages.  Imagine my surprise and joy when a few weeks ago I spied the amber ambrosia hidden among the every-day frozen fruits.  Then imagine my shock when I saw the price.

But how do you put a price on memories?  The memory of the seedless persimmon tree next to the Blue Lick church?   Grinding out the pulp in Mother's old food mill?  The puckery taste of a raw persimmon transformed into a pudding fit for the gods?

You can't.  

Persimmon pudding is something of an acquired taste. It's not for everyone and I hesitate to share my puddings with the unappreciative. So make your own. 



Persimmon pudding has it's own web site at http://www.persimmonpudding.com/ where you can find recipes with personal notes from other pudding lovers.  Pick the simplest recipe you can find.  No need for gourmet folderol.

No comments: