Monday, January 31, 2011

Don't Wait

When I was younger I wanted to be adventuresome.  I wasn't much, just a little bit.  Something always stopped me from going after the big adventures.  Money, time, fear, my mother.

Back in the '70's, I wanted to work on the Alaskan pipeline as a nurse, but I was allergic to the cold (cold urticaria).  I got hives when exposed to cold weather.  Seemed kind of silly to go work in Alaska with that allergy, huh?

I wanted to backpack through Europe but I was too timid to go by myself and everybody I knew thought I was crazy to even think about it.  So I went on a 2 week canned tour to all the usual places.  I always meant to go back to take those off-the-beaten-path paths, but I haven't got there yet.

I wanted to learn to play the drums, but I didn't even do that.  Maybe when I retire. 

Maybe.  Later.  When I get a roundtoit.

In the meantime, I'm following Jude and Bernie Sumption as they travel from England to Australia by way of every place in between.   Check out their trip through the White Desert.  Now that looks like an adventure.

No comments: