Monday, January 10, 2011

The nice things about Westerns

I've almost finished watching all my Wagon Train DVDs.  I've forgotten about Cooper Smith and now I have a crush on Bill Hawks.  Yes, I'm a fickle fan.

Because westerns are timeless, old ladies can have crushes on any age leading man they want.  I wasn't born in the days of wagon trains (really, I'm not that old) so I can be any age I want when my mind goes galloping down the dusty trail on my trusty bay, and my beaus (as they would have been called in the 1800's) can be any age I choose.

Another nice thing about TV Westerns is the way they treat God.  They speak to God as well as pray to Him.  It's not unusual for a Western scene to feature a rugged, hard-as-nails, take-nothing-off-of-nobody man sinking to his knees and praying for divine intervention or guidance.  Or uttering a heart felt "thanks" to the heavens as the show ends.

That's a third nice thing - TV Westerns almost always have a happy ending.  Sometimes life stinks.  I don't need a TV show to remind me of that.  I watch TV to escape so I always want happy endings.  Westerns don't always have a cheerful ending.  Sometimes the homestead is burned to the ground, or the baby doesn't make it, or the fiance dies before the wedding, but by the end you know everything will be all right eventually with the help of God and the friends you've made along the trail.

Happy trails to you.

No comments: