Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Cheese Enchiladas

I just finished supper and thought I'd share the recipe with you.  It's easy and quick to prepare.  I usually make the sauce in the microwave. 

Cheese Enchiladas
Ingredients:
2 (8") tortillas 
1 cooked chicken breast half, shredded
2 - 4 tablespoons minced onion (minced as in "finely chopped")
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese (or use a "Mexican cheeses" combo)
1 ½ tablespoons butter
1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup sour cream
1 oz chopped green chilies (optional)

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
  2. Divide the chicken, onion and most of the cheese between the tortillas. Roll them up and place in a greased baking pan, seam side down.
  3. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until it begins to boil. Add the broth, stirring continuously.
  4. Add the chilies (if desired) and sour cream. Stir occasionally and do not let the mixture boil.  Pour this mixture over the enchiladas when hot and thick.
  5. Bake the enchiladas for 20 minutes then top with the rest of the cheese and bake for a further 5 minutes or until you think the cheese is melted enough and is  a nice color.
  6. Garnish with chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions, and/or sliced black olives, if desired. 

Side notes:
  1. I served this with a tossed salad and tortilla chip and I'm a happy little camper right now. 
  2. I didn't have any chicken prepared tonight so I just used the cheese and onion. 
  3. I like the lesser amount of onion.
  4. Sometimes I spread refried beans on the tortillas in a thin layer before adding the other ingredients.  But I didn't have any beans either. 
  5. And I've thought about using cream cheese on the tortilla instead of the beans, but I didn't have any cream cheese either. 
  6. If I don't have broth, I use milk.  It makes the sauce a little thicker.
  7. I say the chilies are optional because I never seem to have any so have never used them in this recipe, but I don't think I've missed them.  Of course I won't really know till I've tried it with as well as without, will I?
  8. If you use corn tortillas, you'll need to fry them a little first to make them soft enough to roll.
  9. You can add chopped spinach with the cheese and onion if you like.  If using a 10 oz package of frozen spinach, thaw it and drain well, squeezing out most of the water.  You'll only need about 1/8 - 1/4 cup of spinach for each tortilla, but you can put the rest of the spinach on the bottom of the casserole dish as a bed for the enchiladas.  
  10. I haven't tried this with shredded or ground breef, but I'm sure it would be good and am going to try it some day.Maybe next time.

1 comment:

pinkprincessexclusivo said...

pls follow my blog,thanks!