Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!


I put a turkey on to cook this morning then got on the internet to look up something, but as soon as I got connected, I forgot what. Silly me!

I'm cooking the turkey in a crock-pot this year. I'm going to assume that this will be the only Thanksgiving that I do that. A crock-pot turkey has real appeal for those who don't need a large turkey, are satisfied with just white meat, and only have one oven. I fit all those.

But, it's just won't be the same as a picturesque, golden brown, overstuffed turkey sitting on a platter in all its glory. I know that only lasts about 15 minutes before it's a half eaten carcass surrounded by overstuffed diners, but it's tradition.

Why bother having a turkey at all if you can't follow tradition? And you have to have turkey for Thanksgiving. It's ok to have goose or a rib roast at Christmas. Even an eggplant casserole if you eschew meat, but you gotta have turkey for Thanksgiving.


Did you know that Americans consume over 675 million pounds of turkey on Thanksgiving Day? The National Turkey Federation claims 95% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving.

Did you know that turkey contains an amino acid called tryptophan that sets off a chemical reaction that calms you down and makes you sleepy? The National Turkey Federation claims that's a lie. It was the large helping of mashed potatoes, two helpings of corn, three rolls, and four pieces of pie (pumpkin, apple, peanut butter, and sweet potato) that made you sleepy last year.

No comments: