Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Preferably someplace else.

The weather forecasters claim it is going to snow tonight. It will be their first real snow of the season and they are all very excited. One would think that the inch they are predicting equals a blizzard.

I don't appreciate their excitement. They're adults now. They don't get snow days; they aren't getting a new sled for Christmas; they don't get to build a really keen snow fort. You can't even build a decent snowman with 1" of snow.

I use to be fairly skilled at creating snowmen. In my younger days. Before I realized that freezing my rear off isn't that much fun. As a matter of fact, many years ago I built a magical snowman.

I had a friend and two kids spending the night because of the snow and before supper we built a truly magnificent snowman in the apartment courtyard. When we got up the next morning, the snowman was gone without a trace.

There were paths in the snow where we had rolled the large snowballs that made up his body and the cleared circle where he had stood was still evident. But no piles of snow where his head or belly might have landed if he had been accosted by hooligans. No carrot nose, button eyes, or twig arms strewn around to show that he had ever existed. Not even his hat.

No comments: