Sunday, November 06, 2005

Sunday Morning Breakfast

This morning I fixed waffles and pancakes for breakfast. More specifically, "milled flax seed and soy" waffles and pancakes.

I have been trying to eat more whole grains and less meat so a few months ago I bought a heart-healthy pancake mix. This morning I decided to try it. At first, I was going to make pancakes, but the instructions included the directions for waffles and I remembered that I had a waffle iron that had never been used.

So I decided to make waffles and made the batter accordingly. It looked awfully thin to stay on a waffle iron. I re-read the instructions. Hmmm, the last step said "Let set 5 minutes". I unplugged the waffle iron and set the timer.

Five minutes later, the batter had thickened a little. Milled flax seed and soy batter doesn't look like regular pancake batter. The phrases cow fodder and horse feed come to mind.

I heated up the waffle iron for its maiden voyage and poured the right amount of batter onto each square. Then I waited.

And waited. And waited some more. The waffle iron was taking FOREVER so I heated up the griddle to make pancakes. I burned the first one, of course. It's tradition in my house. I threw that one out, adjusted the heat, and started another. While the second one was cooking, I decided the waffle MUST be done so I took it off the grill and put more batter on.

The waffle looked done, but one taste said otherwise. I threw that one away. In the meantime, the second pancake looked burned so I threw that one out, adjusted the heat, and started another.

That's when the smoke alarm when off. When I'm cooking, that's also traditional.

The second waffle was still cooking, but by the time I got the alarm to stop screaming, the third pancake was done. Hunh, apparently milled flax seed and soy pancakes look burnt when they're done. I put another pancake on.

The fourth pancake finished cooking so I stuck them both on a plate and served them with lots of syrup. With enough syrup, they actually tasted pretty good.

The waffle was still cooking.

Eventually, the waffle got done, dark golden brown and crisp. Tasted a lot like the pancakes.

In summary, for 2 pancakes and 1 waffle, I have to wash a waffle iron, a skillet, 3 measuring cups, a measuring spoon, a bowl, 2 plates, 3 forks, 2 spoons, a spatula, the stove top, the counter top, and my nightgown where I dribbled syrup. Makes frozen waffles sound reallllly good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But did the real waffles taste better?