Thursday, December 07, 2006

A little bit softer now

I found a new site tonight. You're probably too young to remember when you could put a quarter in the jukebox and hear 3 of your favorite songs. Most of you are probably too young to even know what a jukebox is.

But if you want to know what rock music sounded like in the beginning - yeah, like before there was fire - go to the 50's Jukebox.

I grew up on this music. My eldest sister was a teenager when this music was playing on the little transitor radio she kept under her pillow at night. She didn't really share it with us, her pesky little sisters, but we couldn't help hearing the tunes now and then.

Who can forget those catchy lyrics that went something like "7 little girls sitting in the back seat kissing and hugging with Fred" or "Who walked in the class room, cool and slow, who called the English teacher Daddy-O" or "Kookie, lend me your comb"? Or the Saturday-night-alone classics like the poignant "I've been cheated, been mistreated, When will I be loved" or the wistful "Each night I ask the stars up above Why must I be a teenager in love"?

Clear the floor and put another coin in the jukebox. Get up on your feet and check out the Isley Brothers singing "Shout!"

OH YEAH! You're a little bit louder now.

No comments: