Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Past and the Future

You know I don't really believe in horoscopes, don't you? I only read them for entertainment. But sometimes they are eerily close to reality.

I was just checking out last year's horoscope on AOL to see how accurate it wasn't. It was a little too close for comfort, if you know what I mean. It said "You're such a responsible friend and member of the team that you could wear yourself out finishing the work others leave undone this year. It's nice to be nice, of course, but in all fairness to yourself, make sure that they do their part too. This will free you to explore your own dreams and fantasies, instead of staying stuck in someone else's reality."

It's nice to be nice, of course, but in all fairness to yourself, make sure that they do their part too:
I started a new job this spring with fewer responsibilities and had planned to concentrate more on my personal writing, but I let the job get in the way. I won't go into all the gory details, but part of the problem was that I was the only experienced person on the team and I had to do a lot of training, explaining, and just plain "I'll do it myselfing". I didn't mind that - we'll all new to a job sometime and my philosophy is that the more I teach you to do the less I have to do. But one member of the team had no idea how to work. I don't just mean how to do the job, I mean how to work, and it didn't appear as if he intended to learn how. I expended too much unnecessary time and energy "babysitting" him.

You're such a responsible friend and member of the team that you could wear yourself out finishing the work others leave undone this year: The non-worker got fired in November so now I'm stuck doing his job as well as mine. He didn't do much so it wouldn't be so hard doing his job except people expect me to do the work to my usual standards not his. AND he only half-a***** what little he did do. Trying to figure out the What & How of each of his project is stressing me out.

This will free you to explore your own dreams and fantasies, instead of staying stuck in someone else's reality: Have you got any idea how many times I used the word "stuck" this year when talking to myself about myself?

This is an excerpt from the article's horoscope for 2007 for Libras "These [four eclipses] suggest that you could use more time to yourself, as the demands of work may be heavier than normal." And another, "It's time to be a leader and play a more active role in directing events socially or on the job."

It's a good thing I don't believe in horoscopes or I'd go back to bed and pull the covers over my head.

No comments: