Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Animal Tails

A puddle does not make a pond
Last week after it rained, I looked out to the parking lot at work. The was one fat goose sitting in the middle of a water puddle that was only about 3 inches wider all around than the goose. And there were 3 other geese standing around waiting their turn. We live in a community that encourages water retention ponds. Within a mile, there are probably at least a half dozen ponds suitable for actual swimming (if you're a goose or a duck, not a person). Did they think they were on vacation at an Econo-Lake or something?

Look both ways and pay attention.
When I went to lunch one day earlier this week, a squirrel was nonchalantly crossing the street until he spied my car, then he scurried back to the safety of the curb while my passenger held her breath and made funny noises through her teeth. I didn't tell her that when I went home along the same street later that day, there was a flattened squirrel at the same spot.

There's one in every bunch, or is that flock?
This morning on my way to work a line of ducks was crossing the road so the car in front of me slowed down. As we reached the ducks, the car came to a stop even though the ducks were all on on the other side. I thought "I'm in a hurry here! What are you doing?" Then I saw one lone duck reach the sidewalk, taking his time, enjoying the view, not a care in the world. I wish I'd had a picture of the squirrel to show him.

No comments: