Friday, September 05, 2008

The Dumass Company Strikes Again.

I work at the most Dumass company in the whole wide world. I know almost everybody thinks that, and sometimes it's actually true. If you work with the same level of Dumasses as I do, you have my heartfelt sympathy. And today I'm talking about the faceless management who make up stupid rules just to make stupid rules.

I prepared a knock out presentation for an upcoming conference, but first it had to be reviewed by the company's Formatting Police. They insist that you only use the colors, font, font size, bullets, and pictures that they tell you to use. After their review, the presentation is mediocre at best. Personally, I think it's boring and ugly.

They insist you use a puke green stripe at the bottom of the screen. And accent it with dull blue.

You have to use their pictures and their choice of bullets. You can't even use the clip art and graphic elements that come with PowerPoint.

They changed puncuation, pictures, and words. They changed capitalized words to lowercase which changed the meaning of the phrases. Would you believe they took the period off sentences?

They changed graphs around so they didn't represent the data correctly.

They changed the animation so that elements disappeared when they shouldn't have and didn't do anything when they should have.

But to me, the worst part was what they did to the font. They made the font so small that my eyes still hurt from trying to read the computer screen to see what havoc they had wrought. I can just imagine the audience trying to see it from 20 - 30 feet away or trying to read any handouts.

Imagine tiny little letters on a plain white background.

Which makes the biggest impact: $15,000,000 or $15,000,0000. Yeah, it kind of loses something when you have to squint to see it, doesn't it?

And when they finished, they congratulated themselves and announced "Look's great!"

No, it looks stupid and I'm embarrassed to have it seen in public.

No comments: