Sunday, September 28, 2008

It feels good just to say it.


“Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.” ... Drew Carey

It's not that I hate my job. I like the work that I do and I'm good at it. It's just that I don't like the company I work for and I'm not overly fond of the management team.

That probably says a lot - we have a "management" team, not a manager. If you don't know what you're doing, surround yourself with others who don't know either. That way they can't tell just how stupid you really are - and you always have someone else to blame when the peasants revolt. I've had a lot of managers, at least 2 dozen, maybe 3, probably more, so when I tell you that these people aren't good managers, understand that I'm talking from experience.

Why do managers think lying to employees is a good thing and why do some managers go out of their way to demoralize their best workers? And why does a company put up with that crap?

More important, why do I put up with that crap? I wouldn't have when I was younger. I would have told them politely (more or less) what they could do with their job - but then I didn't like those jobs.

I just read an article on what you should do if you hate your job.

# 1 suggestion: Quit - well, I'm thinking about it seriously. But that seems a drastic measure. It's not easy to find work that you like, that you're good at, and that pays decently. But it's coming. A letter to my manager saying Take this job, etc would be very satisfying. If I thought he could read it.

The article said it realized that quitting wasn't an option for everybody so it gave some other suggestions.

  1. Decorate your working place. Hang some pictures on the walls. - I don't have any walls. I only have 2 sides to my cube and there are file cabinets hanging on both. I do have a picture of a computer going out a high rise office building and I'd like to draw in a picture of a tiny little IT guy following it out the window.

  2. Open the windows. - My windows don't open, though I have considered throwing that stupid computer through it several times. I suppose that might relieve some stress, but how many times can you do that before management realizes it can't always be an accident?

  3. Combine your job with a hobby. - I have a strong work ethic (yes, I'm still crazy after all these years). I don't think one should get paid for playing around when you're suppose to be working. I did work with a crafter once who was known to work on her crafts at work - even to setting up an ironing station in her cube - and I heard about a guy in another department that sold real estate out of his cube. [Do you really believe that everybody but managers knew about these people?]

  4. Get to know the people you work with. - Uh, why? They are what make sane people quit their jobs.

  5. Find a new office flirt. - You're flirting with danger with this one. and you probably have poor taste.

  6. Change your point of view. - Oh, sure, I'll just be Polyanna-cheerful and ignore the crap. Trust me, sister, once the crap piles up to your eyebrows it's hard to breathe and the only thing left to do is say

I QUIT!

Man, it feels good just to say it out loud.

No comments: