Saturday, September 13, 2008

SOS

I couldn't find any Chocolate covered potato chips so I bought a 30 cent bag of chips and some dipping chocolate and made my own. I'm over it now.

I bought some chipped beef to make Chipped Beef Gravy because I wanted some. I have it about once a year or less because sometimes I just want it.

I seem to have a lot of food cravings for a non-pregnant person. There's probably something psychological about it, but who cares?

There's not much simpler than Chipped Beef Gravy. You buy the beef in a little jar that you can keep and use for a juice glass if you want. You open the jar with an old fashioned bottle opener then you rinse the beef well if you want to cut down on the salt. Then you throw a batch of home-made biscuits in the oven and while they're cooking you make a cream sauce. (2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons flour for each cup of cold milk, more or less depending on how thick you want the gravy) Cut up the beef, throw it in the sauce and serve it over a hot biscuit (with one on the side for sopping). If you got 'em, put a poached egg on top of the biscuit before smothering it with the gravy. If you're southern, heap a nice serving of grits on the side.

Of course, if you really want it simple you could buy a box of frozen Chipped Beef Gravy and a tube of refrigerated biscuits or make some toast. Or go to a restaurant.

No comments: