Monday, December 15, 2008

Blackberry Winter

I bought fresh blackberries for 99 cents a package at the supermarket this weekend. They were beautiful black jewels. Large, plump, shiny, unblemished. A delight to behold.

They had no taste what so ever.

I should have known better. I'm rather picky about the fresh fruits and vegetables I buy at a grocery store. Too often they either have little taste or a weird taste. They don't have any scent or they smell like chemicals.

The blackberries made me wonder if people in the future will have any idea what good fresh food is supposed to taste like, to smell like. Will they be satisfied with unyielding, carboard-textured, scentless, tasteless foods because they don't know any better?

Sometimes it's good to be an old lady and to know things the young can only imagine.

No comments: