Thursday, December 18, 2008

Book review.

I am reading a book called The Lost Tomb that I bought for my trip back in October. I've been reading it for at least a month and I've finished a couple of other books during that time. It's one of those books that's almost interesting, almost compelling, but not quite.

It has pages, after excruciating pages, of obscure historical accounts that I'm skipping while I search for the action sentences that will move the plot forward. They seem to be few and far between. And they seem to be the same scenes, same activity, just different locales. Occasionally, a new character will join the party, but mostly just to give more history lectures.

The thing that annoys me most is that all the characters murmur, all the time. The author can't write "she exclaimed", "he whispered". No, it has to be "she murmured", "he murmurmed". One time they murmured three times on one page. One time somebody "murmured excitedly" - I don't think you can do that.

I've got less than 100 pages to go and I'm trying valiantly to finish. "Why?", you may well ask. Because I paid $6.99 for the book, that's why.

No comments: