Friday, August 14, 2009

Bless you!

You know the Dumass Company moved my office downtown which more than tripled my drive time. I don't like it. To help me bear the drive downtown in the morning and to keep my blood pressure from tripling, I have begun to say what I call "my bless me's".

I start by praying, begging, "Dear God, Bless me and bless this journey. Help me make it to work this morning. Help me make it through the day." Then I move on to Bless the other travelers. Bless the homeless. Give them food and shelter and give them comfort. Bless the soldiers and their families. Give them peace. On both sides. Keep them safe. Bless the world leaders. Help them find peace.

Sometimes I get sidetracked and offer a few choice driving instructions to the idiots weaving through traffic or driving in my space, but then I get back to the blessings. Bless the policemen and the firemen and the postmen and construction workers and everybody else who has to be out on the roads today.

I ask for blessings for my family and friends by name, I ask that my managers be blessed with common sense, I ask for special consideration for foster children and their families. Both of them.

One day I blessed the preachers asking that God give them words of wisdom to share with their congregation in these trying times. This week I blessed the people working at the state fair as I drive by the fairgrounds twice a day. Today I blessed my oldest sister and her husband and their 50th wedding anniversary.

It seems like every day I find someone new to bless. And if I haven't said it before, May God bless you and yours!


Please put a penny in the old man’s hat
If you haven’t got a penny, a ha’penny will do
If you haven’t got a ha’penny
then God bless you!

No comments: