Friday, August 21, 2009

Hot wheels

It seems like the only thing I have to talk about any more is the drive to and/or from work. That's because it takes such a big chunk of my time. Yesterday I left work a little after 6, stopped for groceries, and made it home around 8.

A 2 hour commute is more than I bargained for, but at least I made it home undented and unscathed. Thank the Lord! It was a harrowing drive.

Yesterday morning we were experiencing thunder storms again so millions and millions of people (more or less) went into work late yesterday after the storms had mostly abated (blown east). So almost that many people left work later than normal and my drive to and from the Dumass company had more company than usual.

If that was't enough to raise my blood pressure to dangerous levels, a few blocks north of the state fairgrounds, a vehicle ran a red light. I'm not talking ran through on yellow or at the beginning of a red light. We were half way through the light cycle and it was my turn to cross the street when I noticed this streak of blue metal coming from the left. When I say 'my pedal hit the metal', I'm talking about the brake pedal. I saw that blue streak pass a few inches in front of my car while waiting for that sickening sound of grinding metal as my car scaped the blue paint off - or worse.

But the little devil missed us all. So I just drove on like nothing had happened. I didn't even have time to yell at him or teach him a few pertinent hand signals. A couple of minutes later I did ask myself if I wanted to pull over and throw-up but I decided the moment had passed.

And I was only half way home.

And I have to do it all again tomorrow.

Hopefully without the harrowing part.

No comments: