Saturday, August 01, 2009

Are you being served?

I think that's what the sales clerks and floor walkers ask if you go shopping in Britian. There is a long running, rather strange, but very funny television show by that name. Are there any stores left with floor walkers? Were they the fore runners of Walmart greeters?

The greeter at Walmart gave me a cart today. They rarely do that. I think if they're going to get paid to stand in the doorway, they should give me a cart.

I went shopping today - I started at 7:30 and got home by noon. I hit Walmart, Meijers, Barnes and Nobles, Kohl's, Office Depot, Mennards, and Culvers. There was only one of those stores where nobody asked if they could help me find anything. More than one person asked at most of the stores and at one store the offers to assist me were so frequent as to be almost annoying.

Almost, but not quite. Too many is better than too few.

Sometimes the clerks just smiled and said Hello and they said it like they meant it. Don't you hate it when a clerk or waiter says "Hello, How are you today" while they're running away from you?

Sometimes the clerks engaged me in conversations. The old lady at Meijers wants to know why teachers have such long lists of supplies for school children. Her kids never needed all that stuff and they didn't even have Trapper notebooks, just paper with lines. The lady in the Movies and DVD's department at Barnes and Nobles doesn't know why they have the DVD's mixed in with the CD's or why the sign saying "Educational" was placed over the British DVD's instead of the educational ones. The guy at Office Depot with the red hair is named Ken. There's a woman at Kohl's that will help you find the perfect purse - if there is such a thing.

Nobody at Mennards asked if they could help me and I needed help there. I went in for two things and left with nothing.

The moral of this story is: If you want me to buy something, give me a cart.

No comments: