Sunday, August 09, 2009

Happy birthday to you and other topics

Yesterday was my Aunt Joan's birthday. I remembered to send her a birthday card. Tomorrow is my friend Weston's birthday. I remembered to send him a birthday card.

That's amazing. I remembered to send two birthday cards before the actual birthdays. Usually I can remember it's somebody's birthday and that it's sometime this month, but I don't usually remember who or when before the fact. I'm very proud of myself. It's the only positive thing I've accomplished in about a month.

The new office. It's wearing me out. Tuesday I had to drive through torrential rains, record setting rains, to get downtown. I'm lucky I didn't drown. No, really. I'm lucky I didn't drown. But I shouldn't complain. I just saw the headlines on iGoogle. Dozens dead in Indian mudslides. A million in China flee typhoon. My little problem of a rainy drive and working in wet clothes all day pales in comparison, doesn't it?

Now my car is acting funny. It gives a little jerk every few minutes when it's idling at stop lights. I suppose I need to take it into the shop and let them rip me off again. But at least I have a car and I have the money to get it fixed or buy a new one if it comes to that.

If I keep working. We're supposed to find out this month if we have a job after November. They were supposed to tell us last April if we were going to have a job after July, then they were going to tell us in May, then in June.

It's wearing me down. Uncertainty. Little things. The big things I can cope with. Eventually they get over and done. But the little things. They're relentless.

Like birthdays.

No comments: