Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Retirement

Retirement is beckoning me.  I almost retired from my current job a few months ago, but I didn't.  Now, I keep thinking how pleasant it would be to retire and not have to go to that job that I don't like at that office that I don't like in the building that I don't like. 

But then I think if I retire there will be a lot of knowledge going to waste, not to mention reference books.  These are things I can't use much in retirement.  I like the work I do, it's just the job that makes the work so unrewarding at the present time.  "So," you say, "Get another job or stop your whining."  The problem is there are few jobs in my line of work.  Not just a few jobs in this city or this state, but in the whole country.  That only leaves "Stop your whining".  Or retirement.

Being an analytical person I've tried to analyze what makes a job good vs intolerable, thinking that if I knew I could change it from barely tolerable to good, or at least "not too bad".  Different people have different ideas about ideal jobs, but in general I have found for a job to be tolerable:
  1. The work has to be tolerable.  It may not be work you like, but it should at least be tolerable.  I don't like rote work, but other people prefer it.  I'm glad they do because I'm not good at it.  What I'm saying is that every job needs a worker and I really do appreciate those that work at jobs I can't do, or don't want to do, or couldn't do even if I wanted to. 
  2. The people you work with have to be tolerable. I like to work with mature, intelligent people with the same work ethic I have. And by mature I don't mean in age. I once worked with a 17 year old that was more mature than other co-workers that were in their 30's. I don't like working with people who are always trying to figure out the best way to get out of work. Or who do as little work as possible and complain that they never get raises. Or who, pardon the phrase, half-ass their work and still get raises.  I like working with people who feel the same way about the job that I do so I have someone to complain with.  I have read that complaining together is a great bonding tool for co-workers.
  3. The boss has to be tolerable.   The bosses nearest in you on the organization ladder affect your job daily, but the ones farther away still count.   I prefer a boss that gives direction then backs off and lets me get results me own way.  I work hard so the boss, the company, gets good results.  Some of the bosses I've worked with have realized that.  Others are so self-absorbed they assume that any work done in their department is because of their great leadership.  For some reason, those same bosses rarely accept responsibility for any failures in their unit. 
  4. The office has to be tolerable.  Not too hot, not too cold, not too crowded, not too far away.   I'm fairly flexible on this one - my tolerance level for my physical environment is fairly high.  Doesn't mean that I wouldn't like the corner office with private bathroom, it just means I know I'll never have that.  Unless I work at home. 
  5. The paycheck has to be tolerable.  Bottom line is always money.  You need enough to make the job worth doing, but not so much that you wouldn't appreciate more.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

hey mo....i wrote a piece today on the "work" conundrum. How we work work work...and for what?
What is truly important?
If you get a chance read it.
www.letmewashyourfeet.blogspot.com

I see a lot of truth in your work conundrums from the posts that I've read. I am facing the same thing :( oh well, I'm lucky to have a job. But there is more! so much more to life. I am believing that God will lead me into something else soon. Praying He will lead you into something else soon too. You don't seem happy. :(