Sunday, April 01, 2012

Saddle Up!

For some reason, I have become enamored (more like obsessed) with old time Western TV shows.  I just sit around and watch them on YouTube or on DVDs all day long except when I'm at the office. 

I don't know why.  As I've said before, life back then was too tough for me so it's not like I wax nostalgic for days of yore.  I haven't liked riding horses since I outgrew Shetland ponies.  I abhor violence which is rife in most westerns. (One cowboy star once said westerns weren't violent.  He only killed two or three men a show.)  It really annoys me when women are expected to defer to a man's orders.  I'm glad they stopped smoking like chimneys on TV shows. 

But still I love 'em.  The wide open spaces, the cowboys, the horses, the bar room brawls, the women who stand behind their men, the bad guy hitting the dirt while the good guy rides away with his left arm in a sling.

So what it is?  What keeps me coming back day after day?

Maybe I'm just looking for a hero that knows right from wrong and isn't afraid to show it.
Maybe I just want to know what it's like when somebody has your back.
Maybe I just want a reason to dance.


No comments: