Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The dinner bell

I just copied a recipe and saved it to My Recipes folder.

I think it's from the Palm Beach Diet because the title of the recipe is Maida Heatter's Palm Beach Brownies. The description says "These are the biggest, thickest, gooiest, chewiest, darkest, sweetest, mostest-of-the-most chocolate bars." Ok, maybe they aren't from THE Palm Beach diet.

I'll probably never make the brownies. I'll just drool over the recipe every once in a while. I have a lot of recipes like that.

The other day I saved a recipe (from Cooks.com) that I'll probably make some day even though I have no idea how to pronounce it. It's called Serbian Gjuwetsch. I don't know what Gjuwetsch means either, but it may be Hungarian for rice with vegetables. Then again, maybe not. I'm guessing that the origin is supposed to be Serbia, but it looks like an old Hoosier recipe to me. I tried to find other recipes with that name, but they weren't in English so I don't know what made them Gjuwetch as opposed to, say, Goulash.

This is the recipe for Serbian Gjuwetsch in case you want to try it. It looks simple enough.

1 lg. onion
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 lb. ground beef (or lamb)
1/2 tsp. paprika
4 tomatoes, peeled
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 c. water
1 c. uncooked rice

Chop onion fine and fry in oil with meat until golden brown. Sprinkle with paprika. Add tomatoes, quartered, and peppers cut in long strips. Season with salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes. Add water and rice. Simmer for about 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Serves 4.

Well, maybe it's not Hoosier after all. It serves 4 people with only 1/2 pound of beef. And the only time I ever heard anybody in Indiana say Gjuwetsch was after somebody sneezed.

No comments: