Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Overflowing Closet

While we're talking about fall, let's discuss this year's fall fashion trends. Why? I don't know, unless it's to poke fun of them.

Either the 40's, 50's, or 80's are back depending on who you ask (and probably on how old they are.)

Sweaters are back - oversized sweaters, sweater dresses, and sweater coats. Sweaters are going to new lengths to be noticed - like to the floor.

Which is odd because jackets this season will be cropped. (Guys: that means they end at or above the waist.)

Jumpers are back. (Guys and English readers: an American jumper is a sleeveless dress worn over a blouse or sweater. I was wearing one when I got the nickname Bubbles, but that's a different story. Sorry to digress.)

Skin-tight pants are hot. (Nobody should wear skin-tight pants unless (1) they're underfed models or (2) they're working the corner.) Wide belts are back. Leggings are in, but shorter - like just below the knee. (think Kimmie Gibbler from Full House). Ugly little high-heeled booties are new. (I added the ugly commentary, but wait till you see them and see if you don't agree.) Hats, hats, hats of all shapes are back. (Good - I love strange hats. If I didn't have such a big head, I'd wear more of them.)

Plaids are on everything. The in fall colors are black, somber smoky grays, camel, taupe, chocolate browns, navy blue, apple cinnamon, red mahogany, plum, pistachio and spruce. Blue leaning toward teal was popular. (Guys: translates to shades of black, browns, blue, red, green, and purple.)

They showed this as an example of what was seen on the Paris runway for fall, but I don't think it hits any of the hot trends except a couple of the in-colors. But then, I'm not even sure what it is:

No comments: