Saturday, March 03, 2007

Patience is a virtue.

The temperature was over 50 degrees here in Indiana on Thursday. A hint of spring was in the air. You could catch a whiff of it every now and again on the rain and March winds. Much of the snow from the blizzard that hit here a couple of weeks ago had melted and the grass was greener than before. But ................

When I got up this morning and peeked out the window, I saw a blanket of snow covering the cars and the green grass. All signs of spring were gone.

Spring is like that here in the Midwest. A tantalizing tease. An alluring flirt. A hard-hearted Hannah. A deceitful little darling. Sun is mixed with snow; bone-biting winds with gentle, face warming breezes; sweet smelling rain with sparkling, but treacherous ice storms. This is spring in Indiana. Ice and blossoms at the same time.

As always, I want spring to come now.

Right now. I want to leave the cold and snow and gray skies of winter behind. If this is like years past (and with Indiana weather, nothing is predictable), I will search yearningly for small signs of spring. A robin, a crocus, a hint of green in a dogwood tree.

Patience is a virtue I lack. I will buy hothouse daffodils and bring them inside to remind me of what is to come. I will put away my winter coat, knowing it is too soon. I will venture south where spring comes a little earlier. Little things that make waiting for spring almost bearable, because this is springtime in Indiana.








Pictures courtesy of wilstar.com, a family-oriented website operated by an Indianapolis science teacher.

No comments: